Friday, September 12, 2008

young adult

Kyle was born Sept. 11, 1990- 28 days before his due date.
Kyle was such a cute little kid. He has always been very curious, determined, strong willed, and caring. He tends to want to reinvent the wheel sometimes, that's an inherited trait from his Grandpa Smith!

Kyle had a bit of a rough start - extra time in the hospital under the lights, lots of heel pricks for blood checks, ear infections, asthma...lots of sleepless nights spent in the rocking chair.
Once when Kyle was 3 - and sick again- he told me, "I'm sowwy I'm dyin', but it's OK; I'll go live with 'Hemly Fadduh' and he'll take caow o' me." That's just not what a mom wants to hear! The doctor tried a different medicine and Kyle broke out in hives. I was told to throw the medicine away... I wondered what I was to do because I still had a pretty sick boy. We decided to try some things ourselves. One thing was eliminating dairy from Kyle's diet. Since he was such a strong willed and determined kid I knew that if he couldn't drink milk and have cheese - no one else in the family could...so it was please pass the rice milk for one and all! We made some dietary changes and some mind set changes. Kyle hasn't had an ear infection since and has been a pretty healthy guy.

This past year has had ups and downs for Kyle. There have been many opportunities for learning and growing. It's a challenge for both kids and parents to find some balance in the transition from childhood to adulthood, and it requires a lot of patience from both ends!
Now Kyle is 18, just starting his Senior year of HS, on the brink of adulthood and the future looks bright. I'm anticipating a great year!
Happy Birthday, Kyle.
We love you very much.

7 comments:

Tiffini said...

Happy Birthday Kyle! I hope he has a great birthday and a great year.

.·:*¨¨*:·.Hep*Hep*Hooray said...

Happy Birthday Kyle!
That is so cute and sad and sweet all at the same time what he said when he was 3....

Aundrea said...

Happy Birthday, Kyle!

Niki said...

Crazy how we all grow up so fast... Him and Reed gave our families some tests... Update.. so far things are fine.. Hurricane will hit us tomorrow.

Happy birthday Kyle.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your "little boy"!

April said...

What is it about milk??? I swear milk is funky for the body...

I too have had to make some dietary changes...I have done a lot of research on dairy and it doesn't seem to be the best choice for me anyway.

So do you all still eat this way? What other changes have you made? I remember when I was little hearing something about how Sister Waite eats different.

Happy Birthday Kyle...I really don't know who you are...but happy birthday anyway.

Jodi said...

Happy Birthday, Kyle. Such cute pictures of your little boy!