Sunday, August 2, 2009

paint project


It's time to paint the house. I've never cared for the exterior colors, especially the trim. Now the trim in front (west side) is cracking and peeling so we might as well paint the whole thing! I've been looking at houses and painting virtual houses from the different paint lines. I was thinking that I want a light tan with a yellow cast, white trim, and a dark red door. So I've been pretty set looking for the right tan. I asked Jeff and the girls what they thought. Jeff said his preference would be something more green - khaki/sage type - but, he told me that it means more to me than it does him and he's fine with whatever I choose - great husband response! Caylin wants something blue, and Megan likes the green/blue that the neighbor 3 houses up painted.

I really like that color also, but I thought it might be too close to copy - (and right next door to that is a tan I like).
I started looking for greens. I saw an exterior color I liked on my way to the Garrison's the other day that is similar to our neighbor's with more green in it - more of a sage.

L to R: Miller Paint,Desert Castle (too red),Behr, Cozy Cottage (too light/bright), Benjamin Moore, Saybrook Sage (I like), Benjamin Moore, Monroe Bisque(I like), Sherwin Willams, HC 5916 (current color, light gray- must be discontinued, I couldn't find a shade name online)

The girls and Jeff are voting for the sage. I like it, too. I'm just not sure I'm ready to give up my original thought for a color scheme. I'll have to paint a larger chunk and look at it out the kitchen window for a while!
I was a little amused when I set the chips on the kitchen counter and looked around at my interior colors. I gravitate to the same colors.

When we were choosing colors for our house in Marysville we started with the carpet and chose the vinyl, and countertops based on the carpet. The last item was wood choice for the cabinets and there were two options, the honey oak or a rose washed oak. The rose washed was clearly the right choice for the color scheme and I looked at Jeff and said, "This doesn't match my yellows" He told me we could get new carpets for the bathrooms. I felt like I might cry and said, "No, this doesn't match my life." We had already been there for over 2 hours and Jeff had to get going. The interior designer told me I could come back and we would start over. I did, and it turned out great. The funny thing is that they liked the 1st choices with the cool/blue undertones so well they used them in a house across the street from ours!
Colors really do have an effect on us. I'm going to take a little time so we can choose well!

3 comments:

Aundrea said...

...As long as it's not the green the house on the corner chose to paint:) That was a shock the first time I drove past! I'm sure anything you choose will be great. Have fun!

Shannon b said...

I like your first idea . . . I love white trim and I think a red door would add a great pop!

~Mama Lisa~ said...

I was up until 1 this morning Painting, We got a new bedroom set and Paul Suggested that since we have been planning on laying hardwood in our room anyway to just do it now, so I ripped the carpet up yesterday and thought--May as well paint we are going with the style of Yellow wall, and white trim and doors we have 5 in our room and then brown curtains. I then painted to whole entryway into our house and it was massive. It is great. we got enough wood to do the boys room 2 bathrooms and then the downstairs walkway

Lisa