Monday, October 29, 2007

100 Things

I've been avoiding this! I think it makes me feel a bit 'exposed'/vulnerable and think about things I've worked through and moved past...(That should count for #1)
I'll start with my list, then I'll work on Jeff's.

2. I was born in Centerville, Mississippi - 39 years ago today!
3. I am the oldest of 8 children.
4. I use my middle name.
5. My first name is Patrice.
6. My maiden name is Smith, so my initials were PMS.
7. When I was 2 I snuck out of my nap and into the chicken pen. I was
spurred by the rooster right between my eyes.
8. When I was 4 I sprained both my wrists hanging on the church doors.
9. Kindergarten was optional when I started school . I went to Miss Maxine's Kindergarten.
10. I went to a private school in 1st grade because whites were a
minority at the public school and there were some issues of concern.
11. My parents couldn't afford the private school the next year so I was
home schooled my 2nd grade year.
12. I really missed being at school so I was able to go back.
I attended the public school 3-6th grade.
13. I made the 7th grade basketball team but didn't finish the season.
The reasons I recall are a mix of we couldn't afford the costs involved
and I couldn't get rides.
14. I've always had a thing for cutting hair. I cut the doll's hair
in our house, my friend's doll's hair, and my friend's hair.
15. My mom used to have my hair cut short, a "pixie" when I was
young. I remember feeling like a boy with short hair and I didn't like it.
16. I have always wanted to have long hair but my hair has never
been much longer than it is now.
17. When I was 11 I let my Grandpa cut my hair. It was longer in front
than in back. I asked him why and he said when I put it in clips it
would be the same length.
18. I started cutting my own hair then and by age 12
I was cutting my brother's and sister's hair.
19. From age 14-16 I gave the missionaries in our ward haircuts - then
my dad thought I was too old to be running my fingers through
young Elder's hair.
20. My grandparents moved to Mississippi to be near our family when
I was 6 and my I started taking piano lessons from my Grandma.
21.A couple of months after I turned 12 we moved to Baker, Louisiana.
22. I month before I turned 13 we moved to Poulsbo, Washington.
23. There was a very talented pianist in our ward (eccentric older
man who had a radio show with his wife in their younger years).
He gave me my 1st piano - an old upright grand that he got from
a local church. He t
old my dad that my talent was wasting, he
would teach me lessons and I would work for him typing letters
in exchange for the lessons. I am very grateful for
Bro. Robert 'Sunshine' Felts.

24. I started accompanying the Church choir and the
HS choir when I was 15.
25.Music gave me a focus and helped me process emotions and 'feel'.
26. I never cried much. I analyzed instead.
27. I wanted to participate in track but wasn't supported in athletics.
28. I ran on my own in the mornings before seminary.
29. My dad had an 8 month job deal in British Columbia, Canada. My
family moved in February of my Sophomore year in HS. I was
playing for a concert in March so I got to stay an extra month
with my friend, Cheryl.
30. We moved back to Washington a month into my Junior year.
31. My dad decided to start a business and move to a tiny town in Idaho my Senior year of HS.
32. I cried.
33. I drove the family van with my 6 little brothers and sisters while
Mom rode with Dad in the moving truck.
34. The van was towing a truck piled with a shetland pony, a dog,
beehives, and a big swingset on top.
35. It was early October. I was still 16.
36. My youngest brother was born 3 months before I graduated from HS.
37. Since I didn't do sports, I wanted to letter in something - I lettered in Drama.
38. I graduated from Kamiah High School May 1986. I left home the day after.
39. I met Jeff at Rick's College April 26, 1987.
40. We were married in the Seattle temple August 18th, 4 months later.
41. I was still 18.
42. I married the right man, at the right time, in the right place.
43. I still cringe to think that I was 18.
44. Ryan was born 1 year later.
45. Kyle was born 2 years after that.
46. We were told that I wouldn't have any more children because of
some female medical complications.
47. Megan and Caylin had other ideas.
48. I've had 4 children but the doctors only made it for 2 of them.
49. It was the redheads that didn't wait!
50. I have learned so many things from being a mom!
51. I didn't graduate from college and that was something I always wanted to do.
52. I have been a diligent student in the school of life.
53. I have continued to take classes and workshops.
54. I love to learn new things.
55. I can be guarded and emotionally cautious.
56. I am very particular about some things.
57. I like water with no ice and a squeeze of lemon or lime.
58. I don't use slang terms.
59. When I met Jeff I didn't wear jeans. I only wore tennishoes for
exercising, I never wore shirts untucked, and my socks had to match my shirts.
60. I like colorful food. I think it tastes better if it is presented attractively.
61. If I had a cook I would probably only eat whole foods and nothing refined or processed.
62. And the occasional dark chocolate.
63. I used to be very afraid of the dentist because of negative childhood experiences.
64. I now work part time as a dental assistant.
65. I used to teach piano.
66. I was a member of the National Music Teacher's Association.
67. I feel like I do many things well but nothing expertly.
68. I like medical shows - more the educational than the drama.
69. I went on a 3 day backpacking trip with my husband to Mt. Rainier.
70. I felt very accomplished when it was over.
71. I didn't like sleeping on the foam pad in a little tent with all those night noises.
72. I did like the beautiful sights and the peacefulness of nature.
73. I love the beach - the rhythmic sound of the surf.
73. I enjoy watching my kids run.
74. I enjoy watching my kids perform in plays and musical events.
75. I really like to read.
76. I particularly like to read non-fiction, self-help, psychology, nutritional/health type books.
77. I'm a fan of Stephen Covey's 7 Habits.
78. I'm a numbers person. I find patterns in them.
79. I remember birthdays and phone numbers - I do all these little memory tricks automatically.
80. Caylin does the same thing.
81. I love the sound of the violin. It's haunting and reflective.
82. It unlocks something in me.
83. Jeff got me one for Valentine's day last year..
84. I took lessons for a bit - but I didn't have the time to keep it up.
85. Someday...?
86. Didn't we just have a lesson about that?!
87. I like a good foot massage.
88. Jeff gives me good foot massages.
89. Sometimes I think too much.
90. I never really learned to play.
91. I'm working on that.
92. I don't have a favorite color but I like warm colors.
93. I don't have a favorite food.
94. I'm a pretty good cook.
95. My grandma passed away last year.
96. I was able to be there with her for her last few days and help her make that transition.
97. She took her last breath with her head in my hands.
99. I can't believe I have a son on a mission.
100. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

(This wasn't so bad! Jeff's list to come....)

14 comments:

Aundrea said...

Marie, I loved reading this! It was nice to learn new things about you and find out the things that make you tick:) You are a strong woman!

Jodi said...

Great list! I love reading the small details from people's lives that you miss in everyday conversation. I didn't know you were from the south and that you have lived in so many different places. I love your comment...'I married the right man, at the right time, in the right place.'

Michelle said...

Thanks so much for sharing! It's funny we were born the same month of the same year, and graduated high school the same year as well! I also still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!

Michelle said...

P.S. Happy Birthday!

Shannon b said...

Thanks for sharing! It was fun to learn more about you. I can't believe #33 -- that would've been scary at 16.

The Maddens said...

Happy Birthday! Hope that it was speacial. We love you.

Paige said...

What a great list! I'm glad you put it together. We have alot of similarities in the way we work and process things. I wonder if it has to do with being the oldest, moving around alot growing up, and music. ;) Can't wait to read Jeff's list!

Elder Caleb Habel said...

I agree with Shannon, #33. I can't imagine! Great list, thanks for sharing the details of your life. Happy belated Birthday!

Laura's Libs said...

It's so neat to learn little tidbits about you. Your initials, your name, man you moved a lot, and how you started playing piano. This was a really good list.

Kelli said...

That is a wonderful list. I feel honored that you were willing to share with all of us.

Bonnie said...

what a great list. I was very neat to learn more about you.

Nicole said...

I still laugh about you running your fingers through the missionaries hair, at 16, I would have been in heaven. I always had crushes on the missionaries. Hehee.

Naomi said...

I really enjoyed reading your list! & I love the idea too! It is a great way to get to know you!
I hope you had a great birthday, I remembered, but forgot to call.
You are very talented! I enjoy your blog updates, it makes me feel connected!
Love you!

.·:*¨¨*:·.Hep*Hep*Hooray said...

great list!! where did you get that idea?