Sunday, November 18, 2007

Good, Better, Best

Elder Oak's talk this last conference really struck me. I've been trying to be aware of all of the good things going on in our family's schedule and see what we can eliminate for some things that are better. I have some things that I have already committed to and need to follow through with....then I can be a little more selective in what I pile on myself.
Often I feel like I have a full plate - full of pretty good choices. On occasion, I feel like my plate is just about to topple over. As I hang on and balance, I breathe that sigh of relief when I make it through and empty it. What I end up doing, though, is filling it right back up. I like to be "doing" - I just need to step back a little leave more room on my plate - maybe use a smaller plate!
One of the things I've felt a little stressed over is the holiday season. I found myself thinking that I'm looking forward to January just to have all of this over with. Not the attitude I want to have! I want to enjoy this season and not feel so pulled and spread thin. I've said "no" several times in the last couple of weeks and that's a little conflicting to me because I like to be able to say "yes". I'm trying to realize that I'm actually saying "yes" to my peace. (which greatly contributes to the peace of my family!)
We were talking about going Christmas shopping on Friday after Thanksgiving but then thought about all the people, all the frenzy, all the impatient drivers...I felt my shoulders tense just thinking about it!
We decided to go yesterday and beat the rush! It was fun. We even got Josh Groban's new Christmas CD to listen to while we were driving. So we simplified the commercial part of Christmas this year and that's one of the "Best" choices!
Last year we got a new Christmas ornament. A little gift box. We all put in something that we wanted to work on in the coming year - an idea we got from the Ensign - our gifts to the Savior. I think my gift this year will be simplifying by making choices that are better and best.

4 comments:

Rochelle said...

I know this is easier said than done but enjoy the hustle and bustle let it get you in the spirit of giving and feel sorry for thoes who are angry drivers and all that. Enjoy this season take it in.
Did I mention I don't always practice what I preach! :)

Tiffini said...

I loved that talk. It is sometimes so hard for me to figure out what is best. I love to find the Christmas "deals" even when spending time with my kids is probably better. I guess I am a work in progress!!

Shannon b said...

good ideas -- simplifying (although hard) really does bring so much more calm to life. Good luck with your 2008 goal!

Jodi said...

This will be our 3rd year of giving a 'birthday' gift to the Savior at Christmas. We each put a spiritual goal in a little box...something we will work on in the year to come. It has been a good way of bringing a more spiritual side to the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. Hope it works for you, too!