Saturday, December 1, 2007

Hit the pause button!

It's late and I should be sleeping...but I was just thinking about so many things that I'm grateful for. It seems like the last few weeks have been really busy for our family and I've felt like I could use a pause button for my life!
Jeff put in our surround sound today (our early Christmas present) and as we were watching the Transformer's movie I was remembering when Kyle was little and used to spend hours playing with transformers. It was fun to think about those times when the kids were all small.
After the movie was over the girls went to bed and Jeff and I were listening to some Christmas music - I was just thinking about how much I love our little family and how much we have been blessed. Kyle came home from the Priest activity and I thought -" good, they're all here"...then I started thinking about Ryan...
We miss him and are looking forward to speaking with him in a few weeks, but there's no where else I'd rather him be right now. I'm grateful he's out on a mission. The kids got letters from him this week and they appreciated that. He told us about his Thanksgiving with the Latin twist - Turkey with salsa on it, rice and beans, pan dulce (sweet bread), and spicy chocolate cake. He talked about the families they are teaching. He sounds like he is doing well. His first area is a bike area in the desert and it's windy - hot in the day and cold (freeeeezing was the word he used!) during the evening.

We've put some of our Christmas decorations up, we'll finish up next week when we get our tree.
I finally got a Nativity set this year - I've wanted one for a long time but each Christmas season I would think about it and look around a bit and not find what I want and think - next year... Well, I was killing a little time while my car was having the oil changed and walked up the street to Wicker Wonders. That's where I found the Willow Tree Nativity set that I love! I got the 1st part of it and the metal stars to go behind. I can add to it over the next few years.
I picked up the Nativity Story movie to watch for FHE Monday night, and the girls and I wrapped some presents tonight so I'm feeling that Christmas Spirit!
It's great how just a little reflecting (and an evening with feet up on the couch!) can be so renewing - I'm ready to resume play : )

7 comments:

Shannon b said...

I love that nativity too! =)
Sounds like an interesting thanksgiving meal for Ryan -- glad to hear he is doing well.

Nicole said...

Should have called me to watch the movie with you guys! What a fun "early" Christmas present!

Tiffini said...

I love your nativity. Someday I will get one for me. I am glad that Ryan is doing well...turkey with salsa huh? Interesting. Enjoy the surround sound!

Jodi said...

Your Willow Tree Nativity is beautiful! That is the one on my wish list, too.

Naomi said...

I feel that same way as we get caught up in the Holiday 'rush' of things.
I always enjoy reading your blog & your insights. It is great to get to know you and your family more!

Aundrea said...

I want that Nativity too! I'm glad you had a little "down" time to rejuvinate and get ready for the busyness that is the holidays:)

.·:*¨¨*:·.Hep*Hep*Hooray said...

that's a really cute nativity! I really like the stars with it. we don't have a nativity. we don't even have a tree, but hopefully next year we can have a tree. i love Christmas though. this year will be especially great, probably my best Christmas yet, because it will be the first Christmas Alyssa can really enjoy.