Sunday, March 16, 2008

Life's Little Luxuries

I remember listening to a talk on tape by Mary Ellen Edmunds years ago called Gratitude - the Theory of Relativity. She talked about being grateful and talked of her mission experiences in primitive countries and basically - it's all relative...our comforts, our expectations, etc. She told of a little saying of Pres. Kimball's, "Don't worry little luxury, soon you'll become a necessity!" I thought that was pretty funny and immediately thought of my dishwasher, then I remembered back to when Ryan was a baby and heating up bottles in the middle of the night - with hot water on the stove...and how excited we were to get our tax return and buy a big old microwave oven...
Well, my new luxury is the DVR. I love it!!!! If we're watching something I usually have another another channel on standby(like the history or discovery channel) to quick flip to during graphic commercials; and I don't like how the volume rises during commercials - not a problem now...about 5 seconds on the fastforward - what commercials??! And if it's on later than I want to stay up, or if I'm going to be gone...great - just program it and watch it at my own convenience! So here's to limited commercial interruption and TV watching on my terms!

9 comments:

Michelle said...

This is one of my personal favorites! I haven't watched a commercial in months, and I spend less time in front of the TV since I can just fast forward. Love it!

Paige said...

I will NEVER go back to life before DVR!! My parents got me a TIVO box when Joelle was a baby and it literally saved my sanity. And I LOVE not having to watch commercials, too!

Gina said...

I think we are one of the few people around with no cable TV or sattelite TV. At our house we watch just the few free stations that there are (and in Feb of next year maybe we will have no TV at all). It is interesting to see what people now think of as necessities.

sheila said...

I loved that saying about how the luxury will become a necessity. Wow that is so true. That really makes me ponder about all of the things which I consider necessitites, but are in fact a luxury!!

Elder Caleb Habel said...

LOVE THAT DVR. Yes those luxuries can feel like necessities. Even my kids have clued in to the fact that most of their favorite shows can be viewed on demand with no commercial interuptions. Sometimes I wonder if that is a good thing or bad thing? Still, we LOVE IT!

Jodi said...

Oh the joys of modern technology! We love our DVR and find it hard to imagine how we EVER sat through commercials :)

Shannon b said...

yes! We have only been enjoying the DVR world for 2 1/2 months now and we LOVE it! Isn't it just the coolest!

Kelli said...

I LOVE my DVR. It makes my life much simpler. Ican watch tv on my schedule. It is one of the best inventions!

Niki said...

Marie! It has been forever.. I saw you on Kyrks blog and thought I would say HI!

It is good to be able to contact you.

Niki