Monday, April 7, 2008

Conference Week

I have certainly been filled this past week. I spent 12 hours in classes on Thursday and Friday at the Dental Conference and then 8 hours of instruction and encouragement watching our church conference. Wow. Now I hope to implement many of the things I have learned and reviewed.
Some highlights for me...
  • Nutrition class that helped me refocus on my health goals.
  • Class on reducing stress - cultivating awareness and balancing mind/body/spirit.
  • I appreciated the opening prayer of Sat's 9 am session, it was given by Elder Mickelson who was Jeff's mission president. He spoke of the family and especially blessed the mother's. I've had a tough week as a mother and I really felt that prayer on my behalf.
  • President Monson's concluding talk of the 9 am session on Sunday. He spoke with the power and strength of a Prophet. I also appreciated Elder Holland putting what I was feeling into words at the beginning of his talk in the next session.
  • The opportunity to sustain our new church presidency. Megan had an eye appt. Sat. morning so we DVR'd Sat. conference. I watched it all today - then for FHE we watched the beginning and participated in that as a family.
  • The opening prayer of the Sunday session was also very powerful.
  • Elder Eyring's talk from last Saturday...walking in the light and making good choices - the YW meeting (it's all part of the conference experience!)
  • Elder Scott's expert handling of a very sensitive subject.
  • Elder Zwick - Live by your standards...it is time to shore up your underpinnings...fortify ourselves spriritually.
  • The music was so beautiful - I could feel that organ and hear the harmonies so clearly - that is partly because of our awesome sound system that I love!
  • I just wanted to mention the BYU choir separately - they were great. I thought it was A Capella but then I thought maybe there was a bass underscore...???
So much more...We are very blessed to know that the heavens are still open (another great talk about that) but we don't have to just wait for our leaders to communicate instruction to us as Elder Bednar reminded us in his talk about the power of prayer.

4 comments:

Tiffini said...

It was a good conference. I really enjoyed your recap.

Rochelle said...

I loved this conference and so enjoyed being able to sustain our dear prophet.

Jodi said...

I also loved President Monson's concluding talk at Sunday mornings session. He DID speak with the power of a true and living prophet of God. I was comforted by his remarks and felt blessed to be able to stand and sustain our new prophet.

April said...

Marie- Where are you these days? It was such a pleasant surprise to see your comment- it is crazy how we can just jump around from blog to blog and find old friends! You haven't changed a bit! You look exactly the same...we look the same age...there is something wrong here.

I really enjoy your blog. I can't believe how old your children are...what a beautiful family. So it appears you are still so very healthy- I always remember that about you- how you cared deeply about the body- I am with you on that one- I am always searching for more ways to help nourish and nurture our body and spirit. Thanks for your thoughts on conference-