Thursday, November 13, 2008

gratitude list

November's half way over now and I was planning to take pictures and write about all kinds of things that I'm grateful for...

I'm greatful for my Grandpa. He's 93 and has pneumonia. The doctor didn't think he would make it through the night last Sunday. The antibiotics weren't doing anything and he told the doctor to "just quit giving me stuff and let me go see the girl." That's my grandma he's referring to, who passed away 2 years ago. Grandpa had a heart attack and a stroke several years ago and hasn't been able to speak very well since. He came home from the hospital on Monday, hospice was set up and the expectation was that he would be gone in a couple of days...yesterday he got up and showered and then started some laundry. Today my dad took him to put flowers on Grandma's grave. He seems to be feeling better and one of his lungs is clear now. Who knows what tomorrow brings- but for now he's still hanging on!

I'm also greatful for the sunshine. After a couple of wet, dreary days it was refreshing to have such a beautiful day, and the weather man predicts it will hang on for a few days...perfect, because Jeff and I are going to Newport. He has a quick bit of work to do on the coast and we thought it would be a good idea take advantage of the opportunity to get away for a couple of days.

I'm greatful for the beach. I love the rhythym of the ocean, it renews my spirit. I like to figuratively 'write my troubles in the sand and wait for the turning of the tide'....

6 comments:

Rochelle said...

Grandparents are the best! This past weekend I was visiting my grandpa who is 90 and also has pneumonia, I never saw him get old and now he is.

Your troubles in the sand is a beautiful analogy.

Anonymous said...

I love the troubles in the sand idea, I might try that sometime. I'm glad that your Grandpa is feeling better. He sounds like quite the go-getter!

Aundrea said...

I like the gratitude list idea! I also love the troubles in the sand. I think I need a trip to the beach:)

Tiffini said...

Is November really half over already? I need a trip to the beach!

Shannon b said...

enjoy your little getaway! That sounds wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Good for you. I am glad you are getting away. Have a great time.