Saturday, November 1, 2008

Skipping Halloween

October has been a tough month. It started out well...with some great conference talks to inspire and renew me...but by the end of the month I was feeling run down from a hectic schedule that's created a downward spiral for me. Never finishing my 'list of things to do' at the end of the day... lack of quality sleep... less patience... discouragement...
So this month we skipped most of the traditional October family things. Some things were omitted by choice and others were just squashed by the circumstances - we even filed for an extension on my birthday (we'll celebrate that next week), no pancakes at Grandma and Grandpa's for Sunday morning session of Gen. Conf. (actually, they were out of town so we had them here, but we slept in so used a mix to save time and they were not very good), no pumpkin patches (Megan got to go with another family - thank you, Tresa, for inviting her!), no carving pumpkins since we didn't have any ...by the evening of Oct. 30 when I realized that all my kids had plans for Halloween day and evening and I hadn't even bought any treats for the trick or treaters , I thought that it might be OK to just pass this year.
So the 31st - last day of October - not Halloween for me:
*I went to work. I usually have Fridays off but we did our first implant case and that was very interesting. I enjoyed that.
*I was off at 2 and was supposed to have a massage a little later but there was a mistake in the scheduling...chalk that up to the way October has gone. I rescheduled.
*I got a letter and pictures from Ryan in the mail.
*Jeff and I went out to dinner. We tried an old restaurant in town that has changed ownership several times. I haven't been there since it was Mediteranian. Our meals were very good.
*Dropped by the Trunk or Treat to find Caylin and make arrangements for her to stay with Amy a little longer.
*Then off to soak in the hot tub at Mom and Dad's. Nice warm night the stars were out - very relaxing.
*Picked up Caylin , came home and watched a movie. It was a nice way to end this month.
I'm going to have a better November. I'm going to focus on gratitude. I'm going to do the best I can and know that at the end of my day the 'in box' may still have a few things hanging around. If I can really do that, I'll go to bed earlier, get more sleep, and that should definitely help my outlook! I'm going to listen to Pres. Monson's talk again and "...find joy in the journey, now... "

9 comments:

Shannon b said...

I thought I spotted you guys for a moment last night. . . I hope that November is an easier month and you can find your happy place somewhere in the midst of the chaos that is called "life"! :)

Paige said...

I think it's okay to cancel things sometimes. Sorry October was so crazy for you. I hope November brings you some peace and rest!

Aundrea said...

Sorry you had a crappy October! i hope you get that massage rescheduled soon...that would've brought me to tears:( Here's to a happy November!

Smith Family said...

I know that I have never met you or your family but I just wanted to tell you that I really enjoy your blog and all the inspiring thigs you have to say about your family and yourself. Thanks for making my day when you don't even know you do somitimes!

Melanie
(Your cousin Ryan's wife)

Candy said...

I am ususally the one who holds back at halloween time - November and December are actually my months! It is OK to let things go and as kids get older things change and change is OK. It is hard to let go of old traditions but starting new ones can be exciting as well:) Keep your chin up and hang on!I know just how you are feeling:)

Rochelle said...

I too hope your November is great!
It sounds like overall you had a good Halloween!

The Good Gomer Family said...

I think we as lds mom's sometimes put too much on our shoulders and it's okay to let go at times. I'm just glad to hear that I'm not the only one who sometimes just halts "normal" traditions when burned out. You've had a lot on your "new" plate and deserve to take a break! I think you are an incredible woman and in the short time I've known you, you have impressed me! Kuddos to you!! :)

Lorna said...

That does sound like a nice end to a difficult month. Was that the Klondike you guys went to? It's pretty good huh. Hope November finds you satisfied.

Emma J said...

I appreciated reading your thoughts, coming across them by chance. You reminded me of what's important - not the frou-frou but family and worthwhile work. Thanks for sharing.

Hey, I'm curious about your Traveling Book Sisterhood . . . is it okay if I lurk and gather ideas for the next best book to read?

cheers, MaryJan