
Another month has just flown by! I need to catch up. My Grandpa passed away at age 93. He was ready to join Grandma who left us 2 years ago. I was able to get to the funeral via the scenic route - air fair to St. George was too much so I found a cheap flight to Oakland and rode down with my aunt, uncle, and cousins. We passed right by where Ryan is serving his mission. I was thinking I was about 30 miles from him when we pulled off the hwy for a picture in Boron, near North Edwards. I found out that he was actually in Boron and North Edwards the morning we passed through! So close...yet so far...
During our long ride I got more photography lessons from my cousin, Angela. She was teaching me to shoot in manual mode. I learned some good stuff and I think I even remember some of it!
I was able to play the organ for the funeral. Since Grandpa was in the Navy during WWII he had a military graveside service afterwards. It was very nice. Servicemen young, old, and in between lined the perimeter of the area.There were 2 trumpeters on opposite corners and they played Taps, one echoing the other, right before the 21 gun salute.
It was nice to catch up with family. Knowing what we know about the Plan of Salvation it really wasn't a sad time. It was time to remember and appreciate. The only time I got a little choked up was during the family prayer right before the casket was closed.
On Sunday after church, my sisters - Shauna, Renee and her family, and my Aunt Claire, Uncle Craig, and family went for a hike in Snow Canyon. We hiked in the petrified dunes. The weather was beautiful.
Then off to Las Vegas to catch a plane home.


Harold and Virginia Smith...together again.
4 comments:
My condolences. I'm glad you got to play the organ. I think that's something you'll always treasure about your grandpa's funeral.
i like the pics of grandpa and grandma. i dont know who that is in the picture with you, but i can definitely tell it's grandpa's brother. at first I thought it might be grandpa till I made it bigger...it was so great having you over for a few hours!
I'm so glad you were able to go and be apart of it. I too was relieved when my Grandpa got to be reunited with my Grandma. I can't believe you were so close to Ryan!
What a handsome couple. Sorry for your loss.
Post a Comment