Friday, January 30, 2009

Memorable Moments

Change... it is a comin'
Caylin is very particular about a lot of things. She's my pickiest eater, for sure! When she was 2 she decided she didn't like chicken (on the recommendation of her sister) and hasn't changed her mind on that yet. She loves to cook and will sometimes help me prepare the entire dinner and won't touch a morsel of it. She's also very self reliant but relishes that 'baby of the family' role. I really enjoy her and often find myself amused. The other evening she told me that she had a big test and wanted me to fix her something good for breakfast. I thought whole wheat pancakes would qualify - when she came downstairs and saw me getting out the ingredients for pancakes she was immediately undone... our interaction went something like this:
"You can't make pancakes, there's not enough time."
"Caylin, this is your mom, I'm fast. Remember?"
"But there's just not enough time. I thought you were going to make cream of wheat."
"You finish getting ready and I'll do this."
"I want cream of wheat."
"You are pretty grumpy this morning. What's up?"
"I'm tired."
"Well, you need to go to bed earlier."
"I can't because Megan is so loud"(she got in late from b-ball and, yes, she can be loud)
"and she wakes me up if I try, and I can't fall asleep, and she turns the light on..."
I'm thinking, "Wow, what's the deal here?" The thought ocurred to me that besides needing more sleep she needed a big hug. So I hugged her while she stood there resistant and unreciprocating.
"Go upstairs and finish up; give me 5 more minutes and tell Dad and Megan we're having pancakes."
When she came back down she was much more agreeable.
After she left I said to Jeff, "She was so grumpy this morning."
He said, "Huh????? She came up and gave me a big hug and snuggled with me, told me about breakfast and very sweetly said, "Dad, you're starting to get a little pile in your office. We should probably take care of that before it becomes a mountain." (because she's helping him with the filing these days!)
So I thought back about 2 years to the time of Megan's split personality...she was growing taller and beginning to take shape... she would be so, so happy one minute, then could fall apart the next...this has a familiar tone! Here we go again!

Did I do that?
Megan had her first 2 basketball games this week. They were both away and I didn't get to go. The home game scheduled for Tuesday was cancelled due to weather. Megan had lots of fun. They lost the game on Wednesday against Seaside and won the game against Tillamook on Thursday. When we picked her up last night she was pretty excited. She made 1 basket and got credit for another. She said she was guarding this girl pretty hard and evidently frustrated her because she managed to turn away from Megan and shoot the ball, right into our basket!
Megan said the girls on the other team were rude with their faces and comments and intentionally elbowing people, etc. So the coach encouraged our girls to play clean and just keep smiling, then the other team will see that they are being jerks. Again, I think this coach is great!
Basketball is a pretty physical game, and Megan said she's starting to get more aggressive with her rebounds and boxing out. On the bus ride home Megan noticed that one of her teammates had a fat lip.
She said, "Oh, who elbowed you?"
"You did, Megan."
"I did??? I am soooooo sorry."
Megan told us, "I didn't even know that I had elbowed her. I felt soooooo bad."
She's so funny! She really is sweet, but she's also pretty competitive.

8 comments:

.·:*¨¨*:·.Hep*Hep*Hooray said...

both good stories! we played some basketball just tonight. i love that game!
good luck with the "changes" in store. i'm sure you're a pro since you've already dealt w/mood swing teens a few times ;)

Shannon b said...

good stories! Both of your girls are just absolutely delightful! So so sweet.:)

Candy said...

Noah does not like chicken either - what's up with that? It drives me nuts because we eat a lot of chicken - oh well, changes are good but sometimes I wish they could stay little for a while longer - on the other hand I am really enjoying the other side of the changes (my older girls) All part of life:)

Anonymous said...

Both these stories were so sweet! I can only imagine what it must be like to raise girls, especially in their teenage years! And how funny about Megan not knowing how aggressive she really got :) I can imagine her feeling SO bad about that!

Tiffini said...

Zach hates chicken too--he will only eat it with ketchup. I just adore your girls. Enjoy them--mood swings and all!

Tiffiny said...

Boy I do not look forward to the day when my girls start to have split personalities! I will keep reading your blog for lessons on how to handle it!

Elder Caleb Habel said...

I too am finding that a big hug, whether they like it or not, really helps! We know all about highs and lows over here.

Emma J said...

Ah, daughters! your stories hit home!