Thursday, May 21, 2009

Grandpa Madden


I just spent the last 4 hours sitting with Grandpa. He's at a care facility in town now. He's a bit disoriented but we're told that's pretty normal after what he's been through. We've been asked to be with him pretty constantly for the first few days so he can adjust to his surroundings. I brought in some pictures and a few things from his house. I put up the picture of Grandma on the wall in front of him. When he was settling down tonight he was talking to me about her and then he just started singing. He sang for a long time, and he would tell me that he and Grandma liked this song and that song... He was pretty mellow for me I only needed help once - when he decided he was getting out of bed - and there was no stopping him!

Jeff and the girls came by for a little bit. He was happy to see them. It's an interesting process - this winding down of the physical. I think some people do it more gracefully than others, but I think there are moments to be appreciated even with the gruff and ornery. I hope I can be gracious when I get to that point in my life and I am grateful for this opportunity to be there for Grandpa as he transitions into another chapter of his existence.

Friday, May 22
Update: A little after I left last night Grandpa decided to get up again. He fell and cut his hand and they called Joyce in. She was with him all night and he didn't sleep at all. Irene came in and stayed with him this morning. I was to relieve her after my dermatology appt. in Portland.
When I got to the facility they had just left for the hospital. Grandpa got up and fell again, then his BP spiked before dropping very low. He's going to stay overnight at the hospital.

I'd like to think that Grandma heard his love song and has come calling.

5 comments:

Rochelle said...

What a blessing it is to have you in his life and all of his family to take the time and love him through all of this. I'm sad to see him begin this process and I'll miss his loud whispers and spirit on Sunday's.

You have all been in our prayers, we love you.

Aundrea said...

You are such a good grand daughter to him...always looking out for him. I hope he's okay! We'll have to go see him sometime. Is he up for visitors other than family?

Hang in there, all of you!

Jana said...

Grandpa Madden is one of my favorite people -- as long as he's not taking my picture! Your family is in our prayers and if you need a casserole or chocolate, just call me. Both are ready.

Elder Caleb Habel said...

Truly a bitter sweet time for everyone involved. You are so good to take the time to be with him, time well spent.

Jodi said...

I'm sorry to hear about Grandpa Madden. He was one of the first people we met when we arrived here and he has always been so friendly and kind.
Sending your family love.