Thursday, October 29, 2009

birthdays, swine flu, natural remedies, pizza, feeling blue - then a little rosey

Today is my birthday. I'm 41. Happy Birthday to Me. My day started at 2 a.m. to comfort one child who woke up miserable and chastise another for still being awake. I couldn't get back to sleep so laid awake reflecting on my past year- until about 3 am. I was up again at 5:45 - to help Megan get out the door for seminary then get ready for another long day at work. Two of my co-workers have been out sick all week making for very long and exhausting days. I came home at lunch time to check on Caylin who has been home sick since Tuesday. (She was unofficially diagnosed with the swine flu from one of our patients who is a nurse practitioner.)
Just before I left for work the phone rang - it was Ryan.
I asked, "What's wrong? Are you sick too?"
He said, "No, Mom. I just called to say 'Happy Birthday'. You worry too much."
I went to work, ran home at lunch time to check on Caylin and have a bowl of cereal.
I finally got home at 6:45 - I sent Kyle and Megan out to pick up pizza, took Caylin's temp. again (finally down - that ginger bath this morning must have helped), went out to get the mail that hasn't been checked in a few days. It was full - ads, bills, and birthday cards. I checked the phone messages -several birthday wishes; I checked my email - many happy birthday wishes.
We sat down and ate pizza - even Caylin had a couple of bites (while her feet were soaking in a garlic foot bath!) We even had a good laugh - I don't remember what we were laughing about, but it was welcome and cleansing.
I've been feeling like sitting down and crying for a couple of days from sheer exhaustion - so now I just might - but a few tears of gratitude! It's been a tough week. Jeff's been out of town all week, and with Caylin sick and the extra time at work, I've been feeling emotionally spent and physically run down - and just a bit like Eyeore. I've resisted feelings of guilt while working long days knowing my baby is at home feeling miserable. I even missed Megan's XC district finals...
But enough wallowing in a sleep deprived state of self pity - it's all relative - I really have so much to be thankful for.
So yes, I do feel older today than I did yesterday - but a few extra hours of sleep, a little hair color to cover those grays, and a little perspective can fix that! I'm looking forward to another year with challenges, adventures, and blessings - and I'm grateful for "each life that touches [mine] for good".

9 comments:

April said...

oh happy birthday yesterday Marie. You are only 41??? What? How old were you when you were in the 17th ward? You were in your 20's hunh???

Well I am sorry about all the stress...oh life.

Just cry. Just cry. it is almost as therapeutic as a garlic foot soak! Sometimes when I am cuddling with my girls when they are having a bad day, I sometimes wish someone would craddle me and hold me like a baby...It can be hard to take care of everyone all the time. but it is rewarding-

birthdays just aren't the same anymore are they?

Oh and I love natural remedies!!! I have found a lot of answers in the alternative field for my girls when they get sick or an ear infection- it makes me feel good to know there is something else out there that is easier on their body than antibiotics...

happy 41. You look great!

Emma J said...

Happy Birthday. I'd love the recipe/ instructions for that ginger bath? and garlic foot soak? Where did you come across them?

~Mama Lisa~ said...

Sorry about your day, I wanted to call you but we didn't have a working line. Our Cell quit and the home phone did also. SO today we are getting a new one at lunch I need your number, Have a good day anyway

Love Lisa

~Mama Lisa~ said...

Sorry about your day, I wanted to call you but we didn't have a working line. Our Cell quit and the home phone did also. SO today we are getting a new one at lunch I need your number, Have a good day anyway

Love Lisa

The Good Gomer Family said...

Happy Birthday yesterday. Sorry to hear it's been a tough little bit. I think you are an amazingly beautiful person and I've enjoyed getting to know you! Hope the sickness goes away fast and nobody else gets it. LIFE IS GOOD!

.·:*¨¨*:·.Hep*Hep*Hooray said...

happy birthday! i liked this post. glad caylin is better, or hopefully almost better by now.
pizza sounds so good, too. it's something i can't eat right now but it does sound so yummy!

The Plumbs said...

Happy Birthday Marie! You don't look a day over 29, if that helps. Sorry to hear that Swine Flu hit your family too. McKenna had it a few weeks ago and it is one nasty bug! Hope Caylin feels better soon. Rob got to visit with Ryan in Provo yesterday. He said it was great to see him and chat for half an hour. It sounds like Lexi has planned a fun-filled weekend while Kaylyn is down there. Hang in there, my friend!

Tiffiny said...

Happy late birthday! I think its OK if you wallow a bit in self pity. I do it all the time ;) Hopefully things will get a little easier and settled down for you soon.

Rochelle said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I hope your little one is on the mend.

I loved this post.