Getting ready for the start of the 800 - which would be her last race for this season...get set...
...go!!
At the end of the first lap she was running in 3rd, just where she wanted to be, just after the 500 mark she felt a sensation in her hip, with the next step, something popped and she went down. Jeff and I were watching from outside the fence just beyond the finish line and we saw her as she went around the corner. Then we lost her. He ran up to the stands to look and I saw her off on the field. A couple of her teammates came running across and I asked what happened, they told me she hurt her hip and they were coming for ice. I ran across the track and found her with the coaches. She was in tears and they weren't sure what had happened. She was unable to stand or even move her right leg without pain. One of the coaches brought the Kabota to take her to our car. This was a Saturday evening at 6:30 so I wasn't sure what to do -I called the local urgent care and they were closed. We've never been to a hospital in the 7 years we've lived here so I didn't really know what I needed to do or where to go. I did call her Grandpa and he met us at our house so he and Jeff could give Megan a blessing. I knew our Dr.'s office was closed but called there anyway and was patched through to the Dr. on call. He asked me lots of questions and determined that it didn't sound like we needed to go to ER and could have her ice, take Ibuprofen, stay off her feet, and go in on Monday.
This is a girl who is in pain, disappointed, and still can't keep from smiling!
She's had lots of support from her friends. Becca came over that evening and stayed with her for a while. Many others stopped by for the next couple of days. It was determined that she has a hip abductor tear and she has been working with the physical therapist.
So now, we're a little over 2 weeks out. She's been icing, crutching it, has had regular visits with the PT, and she's doing better. Not walking yet, but still smiling.
2 comments:
Poor girl! I'm so sorry she has to miss the rest of the season. :(
But I love seeing her good attitude and smiling face. She is a gem!
She is a beautiful girl with a very positive attitude!! I love you Megan!
Post a Comment