Monday, February 25, 2008

Missionary Life

Oct. 5, 2007 (Ryan's 1st companion in the MTC had to go home because of medical issues)
Elder Norton mentioned that his back was really hurting him. We didn't really know what it was but he said he'd sleep and hope it felt better in the morning. Well, the next morning Elder Norton could barely walk. So... he asked me if I could give him a blessing. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life. Before his blessing he was very upset because he knew that he was going to have to go home. And remember that he has already gone home once also because of medical reasons. But afterwards he was really comforted, as was I. It was just a great eye opener to me that sometimes things happen in our lives that we might think are unfair, but that our Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us. Elder Norton thought that his time to serve a mission was two years ago and it wasn't. He thought that he was supposed to come back, but it still wasn't his time. Who knows what will happen right now, but I know that he's going to do great things in his life.

Oct. 19, 2007
Well, this week was exciting. I was called to be our new District

Leader. It's a tough job being a district leader at the MTC. You pick up the mail. And go to a meeting on Sunday.... that's about it. Mostly it's just the person who leads the class meetings, goal settings and stuff like that. But I'm excited about it. It's neat to be able to work with the Branch Presidency and on occasion the mission presidency.
Nov. 19, 2007 (In California - Elder Dixon is Ryan's companion
and they share an apt. with another companionship)
We had an incredible lesson on Friday night with a family of 3. The wife is a member, the Father and the daughter are not. Julio had been taught by the missionaries way back when he lived in El Salvador, but he didn't have the money for books and stuff like that so he could study up on it himself. So Now he's in America and he has the books, and he's studying them like crazy... we committed him to a baptism date, and he said he would pray about it and have an answer for us in our next appointment. And then the daughter, who has never said a word in front of us said, "I want to be baptized when my dad is. I've wanted to since I was 8 but I wanted my dad to be baptized with me."
Dec. 3, 2007
Monday ni
ght after P Day was done we had an appointment with Julio y Danae and they said that they want to be baptized in December. He said he "had to take care of some things first" but he wouldn't tell us what those were...So then yesterday at ward council... remember when I said Julio said he had some things he needed to work out. Well apparently he isn't married ...and to be baptized they either have to separate or get married.
Dec. 10, 2007
Well I'm shocked but I had some snow out here. Crazy. We got some great pictures of it!
Julio y Danae had an interesting week. This whole marriage thing is starting to scare them because they are realizing that these commitments are eternal, but they don't want to separate because they have kids together. So please please pray for them. They are such great people, and I know that they believe it, and I would hate for something to ruin their opportunity of baptism. I'm hoping these are just speed bumps and not road blocks.
I read a talk by Elder Bednar and he said unfortunately so many people have the smallest problems and that is what keeps them from joining. Satan is good at his job, but I know that we have the power to be better.


Service on a farm. Dec. 07 Elder Waite and Elder McGhan - one of the elders in his apt.




Jan 14, 2008
Friday and Saturday were so full of the spirit. Friday was
Zone Conference. We had great trainings from the AP's, President and Sister Goodrich, and the ZLs. And then Elder Dixon and I sang a song for the musical number called "How Great Shall Be Your Joy." We made President and Sister Goodrich cry, the hermanas were all streaming, and even a few of the Elders were leaking a bit. It's an incredible song.
Then the next day...WEDDING/BAPTISM! Oh man, was it a crazy morning. It was supposed to start at 10. But we knew that Mormon Standard time is 5 minutes late, plus Latino standard time is 5-10 minutes more late,
so we expected 10:15 and that is exactly w
hen everyone showed up... Except for the Bishop. So we didn't have anyone to perform the wedding. So we called him and he said he was on his way and at 10:45 he was there. And then He asked if Julio and Danae had the marriage license and they left that at their house. So We were minus that. So the ceremony began at 11:05. But that's OK, it was worth the wait. It was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen... After the wedding we changed clothes and went over to the baptismal font. It was another incredibly amazing meeting. Dixon and I sang how great shall be your joy again, but this time in Spanish, "Cuan Grande tu gozo sera". It was incredible. Dixon and Julio went into the font and he was baptized, and then Danae hija and I went and she was baptized. It was crazy to think about all the changes that were made there. I was thinking that as we were confirming Danae a member of the church. Because of this, Her kids will be born into the church. And their kids. And theirs. And it all came from a parking lot contact, when Danae mama ran up to the Hermanas and said "I want you to teach my husband." It's crazy to see the Lord's hand at work.
Jan 2
8, 2008
I leave in about 3 hours to my new area and to meet my new companion. I talked to my DL out there to get the scoop on Elder McFadden and I found out that he has pretty bad depression. There is a chance he might be going home halfway through the transfer. And we get to make trips to Pasadena and Arcadia one a week for Doctor's appointments.So I'm in for quite the adventure. It will probably drive me crazy but this is a really good chance for me to learn some patience because if I try to push him too hard it might kill him. So we'll see I guess...
Feb. 11, 2
008
Well...my week was interesting. It looks like I may be getting a new companion this week. Elder McFadden is struggling badly. He told me last night he thinks he will need to go home sometime this week. We are in the process of working things out with the Mission President, his Dr., and his family. So I don't know what is going to happen to me. There is a chance I might be transfered as well, but most likely just a new comp. Teaching has been very slow because if we work too much, Elder McFadden breaks down from stress. But the problem is if he doesn't work, he feels bad and gets depressed because he doesn't think he is living up to the missionary standards. Honestly, he needs to go home for his health. I think he misses his girlfriend a lot and that adds on to it as well.
Feb. 15, 200
8
Elder McFadden is going home tomorrow and my new companion is Elder Carter, from Georgia. He ran XC in high school, so that could be fun. I'm really excited because I've heard Elder Carter is a hard worker. So things are looking up. Elder McFadden and I have grown a lot closer from this, it has taught me something and it helped him too..But now it's time to move on because there is a ton of work to be done here that hasn't been done for about 3 months, and I'm ready to see this place start blossoming.

Feb. 18, 2008

I've had some
fun trips this week. Pasadena, Burbank, Los Angeles Airport...driving in L.A. is nuts! Elder Carter is from Georgia where the peaches grow. He's a pretty hard worker from what I hear as well, so I think we will have some success out here. When we work hard Heavenly Father will bless us. It's when the times get tough and we give in that the areas continue to suffer, and that's what has happened with this area...we have plans to turn things around...
Feb. 25, 2008

Wow, what a week it was. The new comp. is awesome, we're having a great time out here. We have gone running every day, contacting every day, worked from 11-9 every day...you get the point...and at the end we were both absolutely exhausted. But we ended it on a really good and fun note. Elder Carter and I were asked to give a youth fireside, on any topic we wanted and we gave it on the teachings of Paul, "I am not ashamed". It went really well. And the best part about it for me is that I absolutely love working with the youth, mostly because I think I still am one. It was a blast

9 comments:

Aundrea said...

I think it's great that you are putting his letters on your blog, that way you'll be able to have them published along with the rest of what's going on in your family.

It sounds like Ryan is a great missionary and really enjoying himself:)

Paige said...

Sounds like he is having a wonderful experience. How wonderful for him that he gets to see first hand how the gospel can change people. The family he baptized sure is beautiful!

Shannon b said...

how fun -- thanks for sharing his letters and pictures. It's great to hear how he's doing. He sounds like a wonderful missionary!

Jodi said...

I absolutely LOVE hearing about Ryan's mission. I can feel his 'missionary spirit' through the computer..it is THAT strong! Thanks for sharing and keep them coming :)

Naomi said...

Its great to read & catch up on how Ryan is doing! He is an exceptional Missionary! I enjoy the photo's too!
Keep up the Lord's work Ryan! Way to go!!!

Anonymous said...

It's so fun to hear how he is doing!!! You know, if you keep posting all his letters and pictures you could totally make a blurb book (or 2 or 3) for you guys, Ryan, and any other family members that would like a copy. These are memories to cherish. And I'm sure even Austin and Cameron would love to read about all of them someday, especially when it is their turn to prepare for a mission! Just an idea :)

Tiffini said...

Thanks for sharing his letters with us. It sounds like he is enjoying himself and working hard.

.·:*¨¨*:·.Hep*Hep*Hooray said...

Thanks for the update! Sounds like he's loving his mission and that he's a great missionary! I love how he's the tallest one in every picture! I love the last photo, too!

sheila said...

That was so great reading about his mission so far! He is such a great kid and I'm sure that he is doing well out there. We go to DisneyLand in October, so maybe he will be close enough that we can go to his ward!