What an adventure we just had! When we arrived at the ranch we were divided into families. Each family had a Youth Trek Leader (YTL) assigned to their family as one of the kids. There were 18 families divided into 3 different companies. We had a great group. Even though they had different personalities and interests they all worked well together and had good attitudes. We didn't hear any complaints - a few observations like "it's so hot...I'm eating a lot of dust...that port-a-potty was disgusting..." (Oh wait - that was me!) It was interesting how the whole family dynamic developed. Our oldest was great and just jumped in and helped with whatever he could; our girls were really sweet; we had one of the musicians in our group - he played TAPS for the camp each night at lights out and the occasional tune while we were in camp. We had a little brother who was full of enthusiasm and often wandered off - we had to keep track of him! One of our girls didn't feel well one of the days and she wasn't able to walk with us for the morning. The rest of our crew pulled together and did what they had to do to take up the slack. We were happy when she could join us after lunch.Megan and Kyle both had great trek families to work with. I enjoyed catching up with them at lunch stops and camp. We saw Megan more than Kyle - I think because she was looking for us! Megan's trek Ma was her Girl's camp Mom last year so it was fun for them to be together again.
There were many great points on this trek and I do think I gained a greater understanding of some of the things the pioneers went through. As I've reflected on our week I think what stands out for me is the idea of unity- being unified in purpose. When we are all working towards the same goal we have a great strength. There is strength in unity. If we are divided in our purpose it's difficult to progress. I saw this concept in action as we worked together in our trek families to overcome obstacles. When the men were called away for a time, the women came together and helped each other push those carts up over the mountain. When families had difficulties to face - sickness or injuries - they could support eachother and take up the slack. When the original point of entry for a water crossing wasn't going to work out - our leaders came together with the purpose of getting each handcart safely to the destination - another way was found. There are many other examples.
I want to be aware of cultivating unity in our family at home. I want us to continue to support eachother with common goals and remain a strong family unit with our main focus on the Savior and his teachings. There is strength in unity.
There were many great points on this trek and I do think I gained a greater understanding of some of the things the pioneers went through. As I've reflected on our week I think what stands out for me is the idea of unity- being unified in purpose. When we are all working towards the same goal we have a great strength. There is strength in unity. If we are divided in our purpose it's difficult to progress. I saw this concept in action as we worked together in our trek families to overcome obstacles. When the men were called away for a time, the women came together and helped each other push those carts up over the mountain. When families had difficulties to face - sickness or injuries - they could support eachother and take up the slack. When the original point of entry for a water crossing wasn't going to work out - our leaders came together with the purpose of getting each handcart safely to the destination - another way was found. There are many other examples.
I want to be aware of cultivating unity in our family at home. I want us to continue to support eachother with common goals and remain a strong family unit with our main focus on the Savior and his teachings. There is strength in unity.


11 comments:
I loved hearing about all the different perspectives in YW today. It sounds like it was an awesome experience! Glad you made it back safe and sound:)
nice hats!!
oops, that was me (Kristine) i'm on Heather's ID for some reason!
What an experience. You could FEEL it, Strength and unity were radiant.
I borrowed one of your pictures. I hope it's alright! THe four of you look great, what a great thing to do with your chidren.
what a great experience! And how wonderful that your whole family (almost) was able to do it together. By the end the kids look pretty dirty -- I bet they were so happy to have a shower!
Wow, I am just loving seeing all these trek pictures! What an amazing experience!!! I can only imagine how tiring yet special this was for all of you.
What a neat opportunity to be a part of!
Such an amazing experience! Loved hearing your recount of the week.
look at your family...oh my gosh so many years have passed and your children are so big...and yet you look the same...what is wrong with you???? LOL just kidding- the Trek looks like it was awesome...
Wow, You definitely have more adventure in you than me. That would be a neat experience though. I would be the one not liking the outhouse idea :)! Sounds like fun though.
Post a Comment